A critical part of the home exterior, the roof is responsible for numerous things, including enhancing the architectural appeal of the home and shielding the residents and personal belongings from severe weather elements. In order for the roof to perform its intended functions, it has to be in tip-top shape – free of leaks, rotting and mold. In this article, we will break down what homeowners can expect during a professional roof inspection visit.
Interior Roof Inspection
A lot of problems with the roof can be identified from the attic. Here are the main components the roofer will check for when conducting an interior roof inspection:
- Insulation: The roofer will inspect whether the attic space is adequately insulated by assessing the R-value and determining the current shape of the insulation. Poor insulation allows heat to rise into the attic and melt the snow on the roof in the winter, leading to persistent leaks.
- Ventilation: If the roof or attic is not well-ventilated, moisture will build up, resulting in rot and mold and mildew growth, all of which can deteriorate the structure of the roof.
- Structural problems: If the roof is sagging or the natural light is blazing through the roof, there are structural problems with the roofing system that need to be addressed as soon as possible.
Exterior Roof Inspection
Since the process of inspecting the exterior part of the roof poses a high risk, it should be performed by a trained and certified professional. Here are a few things the roof inspector will look for on your roof:
- Flashing: This thin strip of metal flashing helps prevent water from leaking into the vulnerable areas of the roof like around vents, skylights and chimneys. If loose or worn out, leaks will certainly occur, leading to more expensive repairs.
- Shingles: If the roof shingles are severely broken, curling, buckling or missing, they can be an indication that the roof needs to be replaced.
- Gutters: The roofer will also check to see if there are shingle granules collecting in the gutters. This is a clear sign that the roof is wearing down and in need of a full-on replacement.
Certified Roofing Solutions, LLC is a premier source of residential and commercial roofing solutions in Central and North Florida. Our certified professionals are committed to providing the comfort and efficiency you need through industry-leading products and excellent customer service. Call us at (888) 910-3746, or fill out our contact form to request a free, no-obligation estimate.